Gulping down of medicines just at the knock of a health malady is not really a good practice. Nevertheless, there are some natural herbal home remedies that can come handy and save you both from taking in of medicines and later recovering from their side effect or after effects.
- Lie down and apply a cold pack for 15 minutes to the painful area.
- Mix garlic juice (1 clove) with 1 tablespoon of honey. This recipe reactivates your brain’s sensory areas and makes the pain go away.
- Place 2 potato slices on the temples for about 30 minutes.
- Peppermint tea is a powerful relaxant that is often used for pain relief. Chamomile tea can also help ease the pain and discomfort.
- Try to relax and massage away a headache, performing circular motions with your fingertips.
- Banana peels. Sprinkle some alcohol on the peel, and apply to your face for 30 minutes. It’s believed that banana peels can absorb toxins and reduce a headache naturally.
- Almonds. Eating 100 g of almonds a day helps you release endorphins that reduce those terrible headaches.
- Chamomile tea. Known for its relaxing effect, chamomile has been used for centuries to combat severe headaches and migraines.
- Caffeine is a powerful vasodilator. A cup of strong black coffee without sugar will relieve your migraine.
- Hot and cold compresses. Try to relax in a dark quiet room. Alternate hot and cold compresses on your forehead for 10 minutes. This will help relax head muscles and improve blood circulation.
3. STOMACH ACHE, INDIGESTION, OR HEARTBURN
- Chamomile tea. Chamomile helps relax your stomach muscles and ease pain.
- Chicken soup. This soup will help calm an upset stomach. Just remove the fat from the soup, and add some lemon juice.
- Warm compress. Apply the compress to the painful area for 15 minutes.
- Cinnamon, anise, mint, and basil. Put a tablespoon of each ingredient in 1/2 liter of water, and boil for 10 minutes. A cup every half hour will soon make you forget about the discomfort.
- Lemon juice and baking soda. This remedy acts as a natural antacid and effectively relieves the symptoms of heartburn. Mix a teaspoon of baking soda, some lemon juice, and half a glass of water. Drink slowly.
4. HAIR LOSS
- Onion, garlic, and lemon. Apply freshly squeezed raw onion or garlic juice directly to the scalp. Rinse thoroughly with lemon juice after 20 minutes to remove the smell.
- Carrot and coconut milk. Mix carrot juice and coconut milk, and apply to your hair. This will help the hair stay healthy and strong.
- Apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar. Vinegar is a great remedy to help deal with hair loss, especially with oily hair. It also helps stimulate better blood circulation to the hair follicles. Perform a scalp massage with some vinegar dissolved in water, and rinse with warm water after 10 minutes.
- Aloe vera. Extract aloe vera gel from the leaf, and dissolve it in a bowl of water. Apply to your hair, and massage your scalp. Rinse with warm water after 10 minutes.
- Beets. Boil a couple of beetroots for about 10 minutes. Cool the water, and apply your beet rinse to the scalp and hair 2-3 times a week.
5. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
- Points 1-2. Don’t press nor massage the line between them, but caress very slowly instead. Do almost imperceptible movements of the hand from top to bottom, barely touching the tips of the fingers. Do it 10 times on one side and then repeat the procedure on the other side for 10 times as well.
- Point 3. You should massage this point with the fingertips for about one minute on each side, continually. Push hard but not that hard so that you feel pain. The direction is irrelevant.
- The fresh juice extracted from the herb of Aloe vera is excellent remedy for this ailment. Take it 20 to 30 ml twice preferably on an empty stomach.
- Juice of white pumpkin (20ml approx.) along with some coconut milk and mishri (crystalline sugar) added to it may be taken 2 or 3 times a day.
- The juice extracted from Aamla fruit (Indian Gooseberry) is to be taken on an empty stomach in the morning in a dose of 10 to 20ml two or three times in a day
- Fresh juice extracted from the fruit of pomegranate is quite beneficial for the ailment of hyperacidity. Take it in moderate quantities twice a day.
- For relieving acidity, you can also be taking coconut water twice or thrice a day.
- For fevers with mixed origin, take powder of greater cardamom 1 to 3 grams along with warm water twice a day.
- Pound 2 to 3 leaves of Tulsi (Holy Basil) and add a few drops of ginger juice. Take 2 or 3 times in a day
- Powder of Ajwain (Bishop’s weed) 1 to 3 grams to be taken with warm water twice. This is also useful in case of shivering along with fever.
- One fourth teaspoonful of pepper powder is to be taken with sugar mixed in water 3 to 4 times in a day.
- Prepare a decoction with Tulsi leaves, black pepper, cloves and cinnamon. Take it warm 2 or 3 times with mishri (crystalline sugar) added to it.
8. COMMON COLD
- Approx. six grams of garlic with equal quantities of jaggery pounded together can be taken at bedtime for relief.
- Mix some juice extracted from betel leaf (5 to 10 ml approx.) with freshly ground basil, mint and ginger. Add about 4 to 5 pounded pepper corns to the paste. This preparation can be taken half a teaspoon twice mixed into some honey.
- Prepare a decoction with ginger, basil and pepper. Take it warm twice a day mixed with half-teaspoon honey.
- During the first stage of cold, when you are bound to suffer from continuous watery discharge from the nose, try this. Half a teaspoon of black pepper powder is to be boiled in a glass full of milk and taken warm at bedtime.
- Running nose is an obvious symptom of the common cold. As a home remedy, you may get relief with steam inhalation from burning a piece of the herb turmeric.
- A soft massage with powdered black pepper on the teeth and gums relieves pain.
- Try a local massage with the powder of camphor.
- You can either press the clove between the teeth or cotton dipped in clove oil into the dental crevice. This could relieve not only pain but also exhibits a germicidal action.
- Powdered alum can be rubbed onto the gums and teeth to stay clear of the problems of toothache and bleeding gums.
- Juice of ginger with honey mixed in it can be applied on the offending tooth for relief.
10. GAS TROUBLE
- Make a mixture of pounded equal parts of the herbs of dried ginger and ajawain (Bishop’s weed) along with black salt. Take 1 gram twice with warm water after meals.
- 2 – 3 cloves of Garlic along with warm water taken first thing in the morning proves beneficial.
- Sprinkle a few drops of fresh lemon juice on a piece of ginger and add black salt. Take it with meals for a few days.
- External application of the herb of Asafoetida on the umbilicus in case of abdominal discomfort caused by flatulence is of great help, especially for infants and small children.
- When there is excessive production and expulsion of wind along with foul smell try this easy home remedy. Take 4 or 5 freshly grounded pepper along with a glassful of water with a few drops of lemon added to it, early morning on empty stomach.